Saturday, March 5, 2011

Recovery...Ouch!

  Recovery periods tend to vary from person to person.  For short races (5K, 5M, 10K, 10M) I generally am able to train the next day.  For 1/2 marathons, I usually take a day off and for distances longer than 13, I take three to four days off.  Usually, recovery for me is more about feeling tired and drained than anything else.  I drink a lot of water and keep my electrolytes up by drinking fruit drinks.  I also stay off my feet as much as possible and keep them elevated.  In addition, I eat within 15 minutes of the race which is probably the most important thing to do.  I learned my lesson after a recent 20 Miler.  I started running two days after the event and my immune system took a major hit.  I came down with an infection and was out a few days.  Best thing to do is take time off and let your body heal from the grind!

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried icing areas or ice baths? I hve found after a long pounding that tissue recovery in the legs/glutes bounce back a lot faster if I can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually do the hot thing unless I swelled.

    ReplyDelete

Search Engine Submission - AddMe GeekySpeaky: Submit Your Site! Let's Move Running Training Log My Zimbio