Saturday, April 9, 2011

Running is a Priority, Make It Work For You!

   Do you have kids?  Do you work late? Do you go to school at night?  Do you finish your list of to-dos? Do you have health concerns?   Whatever your situation, most of us have so many things going on, we have a difficult time building running into our schedules.   People who don't exercise might not think this is a priority, but I disagree.   The benefits of RUNNING far outweigh ramifications of not doing it at all.  Two years ago, I made a decision that changed my life.  I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and weighed well over 200 lbs.  Therefore, I had the incentive to change my life.  As a result, I have tried to adjust my life so that I can fit running into my schedule.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  I have three kids in three different schools and generally work a 91/2-10 hour day.  Thanks to a flexible work schedule and a very accommodating wife, I'm able to accomplish my running goals and stay up with life's other activities (I THINK).  I try to get to work as early as possible so that the rest of the day will work.  After work, I generally run immediately.  This gives me time to get caught up on email, meet and greet the kids coming home from school, and then start the evening activities.  Evening activities typically involve homework, drop-off and pick-ups, and of course (CAN'T BELIEVE I'M ADMITTING THIS) American Idol, NCIS, Rescue Me, and Blue Bloods.  We split the drop-off and pick-up duties.  Well not exactly-(Wife 65% - Me 35%).  There are times when I miss my window after work, so I try to fit my run in before 8PM.  After 8 doesn't work because I can't sleep once the post run adrenaline kicks in.  So far this has worked out and I encourage others to try the same.  Its important to get your exercise in or you will suffer the consequences in the long run.  I did and will never let that happen again.  How do you deal with it???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine Submission - AddMe GeekySpeaky: Submit Your Site! Let's Move Running Training Log My Zimbio